1968 Maserati Mistral Spyder 4.0 Conversion
Coachwork by Carrozzeria Frua
Registration number: WGC 945F
Chassis No. AM109A1 1776
Last of these classic six-cylinder Maseratis - with a direct lineage to the legendary GP 250F engine, the Pietro Frua-styled Mistral began production in 1963. The 3.7-litre version of the Bolognese manufacturer's long-stroke engine was fitted to most cars, other options being the 3.5-litre or, from 1966, the more desirable 4.0-litre unit. A handsome two-seater on a shortened, square-tube chassis, the Mistral was built in coupé and spyder versions with a five-speed gearbox and disc brakes as standard equipment. Production ceased in 1970, by which time a total of 828 coupés and 120 spyders had been built. Of these, only 37 were 4.0-litre Mistrals Spyders - of which the precise number which survive is open to conjecture.
Our example is finished in dark blue with tan leather and was supplied new as a LHD Coupe model to the USA.
In 1988 the current owner imported the car from the US and over the next few years employed the leading UK Maserati Spyder specialist to perform a Spyder conversion.
There is extensive photographic record of the work undertaken and the history file comes to some 154(!) pages and also documents several engine rebuilds and extensive no expense spared regular routine maintenance to ensure the car has been maintained to the highest standards. This car is not to be confused with an example which has suffered neglect from long term lack of use. This pristine Maserati has covered a mere 33,000 kms from new and part of a discerning enthusiast's collection for the past 33 years. Rarely seen in public, our car comes with a fantastic history file (154 items!) and presents as a superb example, which drives as well as it looks.