Original registration number
Extensive documented history on file
Has been part of 2 major car collections
The XK120 Roadster was launched in roadster form at the 1948 London Motor Show as a test bed and show car for the new Jaguar XK engine. It caused such a sensation which persuaded Jaguar founder and design boss William Lyons to put it into production. The "120" in its name referred to its 120 mph top speed (faster with the windscreen removed), which made the Jaguar the world’s fastest standard production car at the time of its launch. To meet demand it was necessary for the mass-production versions, beginning with the 1950 model year, to have pressed-steel bodies, but retained aluminium doors, bonnet and boot lid.
Our Jaguar XK120 OTS
#660901 was supplied new on the 1st December 1951 to HG Sissons and supplied via official Jaguar distributor Ernest W Hatfield of Sheffield, Yorkshire. The Jaguar was commissioned to be built in Silver with Red Hide as the car is presented today together with the car’s original restoration number RRA 188.
The next owner Sir Henry Elwes, acquired the KX120 on the 2nd January 1969 and was the custodian of the Jaguar for some 43 years!
As the ex-Lord Lieutenant of Gloucestershire, he was also knighted in the 2009 Queen’s Birthday Honour’s List and appointed Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order for his services in political and public services. Sir Henry was also a “Gold Badge Holder” of the Jaguar Drivers’ Club which is only issued to a select few who have held membership of the Club for 50 years.
During his ownership he conducted a detailed restoration completed by TT Workshops Ltd of Westbury, Wiltshire who are regarded as one of the UK’s leading restoration companies. This restoration was completed in 1977 wherupon the odometer was zeroed and the Jaguar was subsequently tested yearly covering just over 17,000 miles in 33 years.
The documented restoration includes:
Strip to bare chassis, repaint and underseal;
Engine strip, re-bored, crank re-ground, head restored with new valve seats;
Gearbox re-build with new bearings;
Steering box rebuilt. All new chassis bearings;
New front and rear wings, new sills and shut-face pillars, new boot lid and hood;
Resprayed in cellulose, new carpets and cockpit surround to original specification;
Rewired and Starter and Dynamo rebuilt;
Accompanying the motorcar is a very comprehensive historical chassis file to include:
Original factory body design template;
Original service data report (1951);
Original Lucas electrical diagram;
Manufacturer’s Parts Lists;
Various period road test reports;
Original (green) registration books;
Original MoTs dating back to 1980
Original Road Fund Licence Tax Discs dating back to 1984;
Jaguar Heritage Certificate (No. 38046).
The car was acquired in 2013 by a major collector who then sold it to a dealer in 2016, whereupon in 2017 the car was acquired by the current owner to become part of a large and significant collection and has been preserved in superb condition - albeit unused during this period.
Today the car comes fresh from a service and requires nothing other than a new custodian to enjoy this superb example of the iconic XK120 legend.